Picton hub’s identity is more metropolitan (80 ks from Sydney) than that of either Moss Vale or Goulburn but it shared characteristics with each of them. It was a major employer with a Loco Department managed by the Sydney railway district through Enfield and functioned as an important changeover stop for railway staff (Vincent, History of Picton 1996). It was also a centre in an agricultural district where producers relied on the railway to get their goods to local and central markets. In more recent times, as Picton’s attractions and proximity to Sydney have made it a major commuter district, its identity has come to focus on the railway’s role in moving people. During the War work on a deviation from the original line from Picton to Mittagong brought additional railway workers to the town. It was completed in1918.
Picton station like others on the line, was the site of farewells to soldiers and welcomes to those returning. Railway workers also erected an honour board to those who served in the War (PP 29/11/1916 p4). Like Moss Vale the area had its share of large houses and one of these, Waley Home, (Mowbray Park) was provided as a gift for soldiers with its surrounding peaceful grounds seen as especially valuable for those suffering from shell shock (Camden News April 1920). (photo from Wollondilly Heritage Centre)
The small number of Picton stories collected, in keeping with the identity of Picton Hub, are from Loco and Traffic departments. They also reflect its agricultural location and proximity to Sydney.